Most of my favorite works of fiction are typically old timey (e.g. Victorian era) where the authors are long deceased. However, once a year, when on vacation with my sister and her family, we binge purchase new paperbacks to sample fiction from authors we typically wouldn’t read.
The 2021 family vacation book haul contained Stealth Attack by John Gilstrap. Once I picked it up, I read it in a day. Craving more of Gilstrap’s fabulous fictional friends, I eagerly discovered that Stealth Attack was the thirteenth and most recent book of an ongoing series: The Jonathan Grave Series. (Mwahaha eeexcellent. That meant twelve more books of awesome.)
There was bad news though: I’m a fast-ish reader. I consumed the other twelve books in less than two weeks and now here I am waiting for book #14, Lethal Game, which comes out in less than a week I’M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Synopsis: Billionaire Jonathan “Digger” Grave and his best friend from the service Brian “Boxers” Van de Muelebroecke are the field operators of a freelance hostage rescue outfit called Security Solutions. They carry out covert rescues at home and abroad, sometimes cooperating and coordinating with select federal authorities.
What The Series Has:
- Great fleshed-out characters/diverse cast of personalities
- Tons of action
- Complex and fabulous friendships
- Wild military-esque adventures
- Quite a bit of violence (be aware, it can be rough at times)
My Favorite Things:
- Gilstrap’s writing style. He explains complex scenarios efficiently, brilliantly avoiding info dumps (I never felt the need to skip paragraphs of droning exposition). His style and word choices add just enough emotion without the melodrama.
- The dynamic between Digger and Boxers. (Sorry, no spoilers for you. Read the books and enjoy.) These two are awesome together.
- The combination of style and characters. Gilstrap’s style does the characters total justice.
- Father Dominic. He’s the sneaky go-between for Digger and the director of the FBI. He’s the team’s heart and also, occasionally, the princess (my opinion; someone has to be the princess)
- The fact that it’s an ongoing series. (More? Um, yes, please.)
Next Book in The Series: “Lethal Game” (Jonathan Grave Series #14). Available on June 28, 2022.
Okay, it’s your turn. What series do you recommend and why?